Wednesday, June 17, 2009

rant on Snowboarding, lifestyle vs sport.


Well it's summer now and the times they are a changing.  The pretty girls come out of hibernation in their summer attire, Skateboards are freshly gripped and the short season of shredding on the glacier begins.  I haven't ridden in a while and last time I did it felt like something completely new. My legs rubbery from the lack of exercise, my core weak from working as a lazy security guard and my lungs not compatible with the thin air up high. The word fun tends to get overused up on the glacier and quite frankly its getting played out. Our lingo we use to snowboard is ridiculous as it is, I think a new word is due.  What would happen if we all spoke proper english? i think the word fun would still be abundantly in use but what else would kids conger up? pondering...... "Gee whiz Phil that front blunt bagel was the cats meow!" Tom replies- "thanks Mike your trickery is pretty dapper too."..... what a weird thought.  
Every edit I see all I keep hearing are the words "uhhh yeah uhh its really fun,  everyone is out there having a good time and uhhhh its you know all about the fun!" wow thanks Dude you really explained to the viewer what was going on that day. I know its hard to expla
in snowboarding when put on the spot because its not like we save lives its recreation and enterainment. I think because it has altered so much in the years it has been around that we are in a transitionary period where kids are either                         
brought up to enjoy the lifestyle of snowboarding or snowboarding as a sport and just don't know how to say why they are doing it.   
For me I grew up in a small town just outside of Ottawa and I loved winter and the snow.  From the moment I saw local kids Standing on these Canadian tire, kick in binding decks, I knew I wanted one. It had nothing to do with tricks yet it was just so new to me.  As soon as I learned on a friends snowboard in my Sorels I saved every penny and bought a new complete setup when the christmas money I asked for rolled in.  I loved the
 small mountain atmosphere, not too many people, everyone is there for the same reason. The mountain life is like living at the best cottage, whenever you're not working you can step outside and find something to do, if its biking, swimming, skateboarding, grass pulling, camping whatever the possibilities are endless.  The city life always disgusted me, poverty everywhere people climbing over each other like a chickens in an overpopulated coop trying to get their feed, it just isn't for me. growing up outside of all that i tend to sit on the pessimistic side of perceiving city life
 but thats just how I see it.  

Based on my perception of life out here, applied to popular belief, it's no wonder why Snowboarding is becoming so mainstream and popular. This popularity means more and more kids are starting to do it, with city shredding emerging where kids don't have to pay for lift tickets this gets a new demographic into the activity bringing on a different sort of talented riders to the scene. apply that to every city that gets hit with winter and you have a new section of riders to market to. Add that on to the already growing masses and you have got a market worthy of major corporate endorsements which means a different take on it all- the Sport.
 Snowboarding is addictive and can take over ones life just like heroin, so parents be aware your kids may leave home at a young age because of this addiction. Like any addiction the drug leads the addict to the most abundant source of the drug and these places for the snowboarder are mountain towns. These mountain towns(whistler, tremblant, sauveur, mammoth, vale, park city) are breeding grounds for the progression of snowboarding. This leads into the sport of it all.  The more kids than start snowboarding the more competition there is for talent to
 get noticed.  And the more addictions are seen as healthy the more the drug expands into a pharmaceutical for the masses to ingest. Picture snowboarding as crack in a bag then popularizes and gets pressed into advil.  It was a bad influence back then but now that everyone is doing it ok,  young Timmy should do it too, go get em son!
Like I dread the city life, I am not one to embrace my snowboard as a weapon of sport.  I quit playing sports because of the jock mentality. My school was full of nut touching, typical collar popping, tip frosting, jagaloons.  Now living in whistler it remains like high school just a bit different in looks. The popular thing to do is snowboard, and the image might not be 
the same as a hockey player but it sure as hell is an image, long hair sagging pants incase you need to take an emergency shit, the need to say "what" even if you heard what the other person said, just so you keep up the image of being too cool to know what's going on around you.  Not all are like this but it seem
s like these mountain towns are chalk full of jocks and lifers whether it's good or bad I don't give a shit its not worth the time to analyze that right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment